Patron Conduct Guidelines:
Visitors to the Library can expect:
A Welcoming Environment
Quality Library Service
Respect for Privacy
Rules of Conduct
Banned actions at the library:
• Soliciting inside the building
• Bringing in animals (except service animals)
• Carrying weapons of any kind, except as permitted by Michigan law
• Visiting without shirt and/or shoes
• Damage to library property or theft
• Threats or verbal abuse
• Consuming food or uncovered beverages (covered beverages are permitted)
• Fighting or throwing objects
• Bikes, rollerblades, skateboards and scooters inside building
• Blocking entrances, exits or stairways
• Rowdiness or excessive noise
Children’s Library Safety
• Children, ages 7 and under,
must be with a parent, guardian or caregiver at all times.
• You must be 13 years or older to watch a child age 7 years or
• When children, 12 years or younger, are left after the library
closes, the library staff will call the City of Flint Police
Department for assistance.
We affirm the responsibility and the right of all parents and
guardians to guide their own children’s use of the library’s
resources and services.
Other Regulated Policies and Practices:
• Unattended personal belongings will be sent to Lost & Found.
• Cell phones on vibrate can be used in any area except at checkout or service desks.
• Upon request for security purposes, all briefcases, luggage,
handbags, packages, overcoats and shopping bags may be inspected
by library staff.
• Use of Internet
• Students must have a library pass or be with a parent, guardian,
or caregiver on school days before 2:20 p.m.
Failure to agree with the Library’s stated rules and policies
may result in removal from library property and/or loss of library
We Value Your Privacy
Each Flint Public Library cardholder
has the right to privacy in the use of his or her library card.
Generally, no one is permitted
to use or receive information about another person's library
card without written consent from the cardholder.The Michigan
Library Privacy Act prohibits library staff from disclosing information
on a library record "without written consent of the person
liable for payment for or return of the materials in the library
We Value Your Opinion:
Patrons are encouraged to make comments and suggestions for
improvement regarding library services. Forms are available at
the checkout desks at all Flint Public Library locations.